Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yoga


You know I'm a yoga person/teacher/addict and in my classes I always try to add a bit of the yoga philosophy without being offensive to anyone. Today someone asked me what kind of yoga I taught and I went on to describe my various certifications and trainings, and they said, "No what kind of yoga is that stuff you say during meditation." So becoming a little frustrated with the "FAST FOOD YOGA" that is being taught most places in Los Alamos, I decided to remind myself, and you if you are interested in what Yoga really is.

The philosophy of yoga is spelled out in The Yoga Sutras of Patajali, long and quite detailed. I've condensed and edited (from my memory so don't quote me exactly). Yoga is described in eight limbs.


1. YAMAS Moral observances for interactions with others, there are five:


  • Ahimsa-not harming others...hence the reason some yogis are vegetarians,)

  • Satya-truthfulness, not just to others but to yourself.

  • Asteya-non stealing

  • Brachmacharia-moral restraint and conserving one's energy for the important things (this is sometimes described as celibacy, but is that really important?)

  • Aparigraha- non hording

2. NIYAMA- Moral observances for interactions with yourself, there are five:



  • Saucha-purity & cleanliness

  • Samtosha-contentment

  • Tapas-Fire or heat (no, not Mexican tapas like drinks and snacks)

  • Svadyaya-self study

  • Ishvara phadhiyana- surrender

3. ASANA-this is the postures. What most people think of yoga.


4. PRANAYAMA- Breathing this is also known as what gives us life, your prana.


5. PRATYAHARA- A type of meditation where you withdraw. Think of closing your eyes and tuning out everything else.


6. DHARAN- A type of meditation where you focus the mind on one item: true concentration.


7. DHYANA- A type of meditation that is unfocused, hard to achieve without lots of practice.


8. SAMADHI- Bliss because everything falls into place. Kind of like a runner's high only for yogis.

2 comments:

Terri said...

Thanks, Very interesting. I know we have discussed Yoga before, but it's nice to see in written down in a dictionary type format. Easy reference is nice! You are WikiEmilidia.

Maria said...

I skipped over this last year because I wasn't in the place to receive this information at the time. I did file it away for later when I would be ready. Just read it and shared it with Kirk. We have been doing yoga at BODY for the last four weekends and putting Leah in the childcare. It is wonderful. We are enjoying the benefits already.

How long have you been practicing yoga and how do you get certified? Just curious.